2021 North Coast Wine Challenge:
GOLD, Best of Class and 98 Points for 2019 Cuvée Sasha
98 Points, Top Value Wine
“Beautiful, sweet & sour cherry, very balanced, loads of baking spices, a WOW wine, stand up and say hello, mocha dust”
“Gorgeous extraction … big, ripe and juicy; sweet and creamy.”
Here are the judges who took part in the Press Democrat North Coast Wine Challenge:
- Daryl Groom: Chief judge and owner/winemaker, Groom Wines, Healdsburg
- Chelsea Barrett: Winemaker, Matterra Cunat Family Vineyards in Napa. She launched Aviatrix of Napa with her mom, winemaker Heidi Barrett, and sister Remi Barrett, Calistoga.
- Heidi Barrett: Winemaker for Barrett & Barrett Wines, Calistoga
- Tim Bell: Winemaker, Dry Creek Vineyards, Healdsburg
- Dan Berger: Master sommelier and wine journalist, Santa Rosa
- Scot Covington: Winemaker for Trione Vineyards and Winery, Geyserville
- Traci Dutton: Sommelier, wine and beverage judge and manager of the Public Wine and Beverage Studies at the Culinary Institute of America, Napa County
- Ziggy Eschliman: Radio and TV personality and wine blogger, Sonoma County
- Nick Goldschmidt: Winemaker and consultant, Goldschmidt Vineyards, Healdsburg
- Bill Hayes: Wine category manager, BevMo!, U.S. West Coast
- Barry Herbst: Wine director, Bottle Barn Liquors, Santa Rosa
- Kady Kahale: Head of wine buying, Naked Wines US; wine consultant and winemaker, Napa
- Jesse Katz: Winemaker, Aperture and Devil Proof Vineyards, Healdsburg
- Ellen Landis: Certified sommelier, certified wine specialist and wine educator, Windsor
- Jon McCarthy: Certified sommelier, wine and beverage director for The Matheson, Healdsburg
- Peg Melnik: Wine critic, The Press Democrat, Santa Rosa
- Chris Munsell: Director of winemaking, E&J Gallo Winery, Sonoma County
- Linda Murphy: Contributing writer, Sonoma Magazine and The Press Democrat, Healdsburg
- Laura Ness: Wine journalist, columnist and judge, Bay Area
- Erik Olsen: COO, Fetzer Vineyards, Hopland
- Alexandria Sarovich: Sommelier at the three-Michelin-star Single Thread Farm, Restaurant & Inn, Healdsburg
- Christopher Sawyer: Wine writer and “Sommelier to the Stars,” Sonoma
- Mick Schroeter: Director of winemaking, Sonoma-Cutrer Vineyards, Windsor
- Elizabeth “Liz” Thach: Master of wine, professor of wine, professor of management, author
- Greg Urimi: Production manager, Paul Hobbs Wines, Sebastopol
- Larry Van Aalst: Radio host of “The Sonoma Wine Report,” CRN Digital Talk Radio, Santa Rosa
- Wilfred Wong: Chief storyteller, wine.com, San Francisco
- Debbie Zachareas: Wine expert and lecturer, Napa County
2019 New Orleans International Wine Competition Awards Double Gold Medal to Miro's 2017 Reserve Pine Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon The New Orleans International Wine Competition, in its second year in 2019, set a very high standard last year for evaluation and reward...
2019 New Orleans International Wine Competition: Gold Medal for 2017 Miro Cellars Zinfandel Hemar Vineyard The New Orleans International Wine Competition, in its second year in 2019, set a very high standard last year for evaluation and reward for wines from around...
2019 Harvest Challenge Wine Competition: Gold Medal for 2017 Miro Cellars Pinot Noir Hogan’s Run VineyardAt the Harvest Challenge, judges taste wines with other wines of the same appellation. Thus, with cross-regional competition removed, the inherent quality of wines...
2019 Harvest Challenge: Gold Medal for 2017 Miro Cellars Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Pine Mountain Vineyard The Harvest Challenge is a wine competition that bases its judging on a group of vineyards (or even vines) from the same region, belonging to a specific...